CANNON ROCKS RATEPAYERS ASSOCIATION
MINUTES OF COMMITTEE MEETING HELD AT
Cannon Rocks Community Hall
On 18 January 2023 at 10h00
- The Chairman opened the meeting and welcomed everybody present.
Mr. Bert Venter Chairperson
Ms. Barbara Beckmann
Mr. Philip du Plessis
Ms. Tracey Bull
Ms. Michelle Hayes
Ms. Adéle du Plessis Acting Secretary
Mr. Barry Fourie
Mr. Paul Strutt
- Absent without Apology. None
- Refer to Additional Items below.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES
- Approval of the minutes of the committee meeting of 1 November 2022 proposed by Mr. Phillip du Plessis and seconded by Ms. Alta Kotze. Minutes to be made available on the Website.
MATTERS ARISING NOT ADDRESSED UNDER PORTFOLIOS
- Illegal Squatting.
- The application in the High Court of Makhanda against the unlawful and illegal occupiers of the Boknes dumpsite to evict that was postponed until 31 January 2023.
- It was reported that some of the illegal occupiers of the Boknes garden transfer site were observed at the empty property of the SAPS at the entrance to Cannon Rocks. This report raised concerns amongst residents that the illegal squatters may look for an alternative space, should they be evicted from the Boknes garden transfer site.
- Decision. The chairman to inform the SAPS Grahamstown of the observations reported.
- Parking Areas: Environmental Monitor Control Committee. Nothing to report.
- Feedback from the Ndlambe Ratepayers Forum. The Ndlambe Ratepayers Forum responded in writing to Department of Water and Sanitation’s intention to extend the service area of Amatola Water to cover the entire Eastern Cape as published in Government Gazette no 2738 dated 14 November 2022. Acknowledgement of receipt was received on 10 January 2023.
- Maintenance and Infrastructure. A meeting between the Deputy Director Infrastructural Development, CRRA chairman and the portfolio holder is planned for January to discuss the Infrastructure Maintenance Plan.
- Play Park. The portfolio holder reported that ongoing maintenance of the play park is required and will report as required. Committee members express their appreciation for the maintenance and upgrade of the Play Park.
- Community Hall Building.
- The chairman reported that the updated building plans for the Community Hall will be finalized soon.
- Beckmann reported the various maintenance tasks i.e. replacement of globes, replacement of the door handle at the braai area, attending to the facia board at the entrance and water leaks in roof, is required at Community Hall. Consultation with the portfolio holder is required should quotations be required.
- Traffic Signage.
- Waiting for feedback.
- The chairman to discuss the options for additional speedhumps and traffic signage in Cannon Rocks with the Chief Traffic Officer.
- Street Lights. All the defective street lights that were reported were repaired.
- Review of Tariff List. An updated Tariff List (concept) was tabled for discussion.
- Decision. The updated Tariff List was approved with effect from 1 January 2023.
- Fire Fighting and Precaution. Nothing to report.
- Communication and Community Support. Following discussions it was decided:
- The portfolio holder to resend the information originally sent to all members during the establishment of the CRRA Info Group.
- The treasurer to send a friendly reminder to all members whose membership for 2023 is due.
- Security and Safety.
- Camera. The portfolio holder reported that the new License Plate Recognition (LPR) camera will be installed by 31 January 2023.
- Transgression of Legislation. Various incidences were reported of dogs on the beach as well as in public areas in Cannon Rocks of the behavior of dogs and the non-compliance of Municipal By-Law by owners of dogs.
- Decision. The chairman to forward a letter to the Director Community Protection Services, requesting for an investigation of the reported cases.
- Ward 1 Liaison. Nothing to Report.
- Local Government and Development. Nothing to report.
- Awareness Notice Board. Waiting for feedback.
- Garden Refuse Site. A meeting with the Director and deputy Director Community Protection Services is scheduled for 30 January 2023 to discuss the garden refuse site
- Advertising. Nothing to report.
- Statement of Account.
- The bank balance as at the end of December 2022 was noted with approval.
- Expenditure. The following expenditure was approved.
- 00 for cleaning of the road to the R72 in December 2022.
- 00 for replacement/spares of light fitting in the Community Hall.
- 00 for screws used for the Beach Stairways.
- 00 for traveling fees attending a meeting at Kleinmonde.
- 00 Purchase of paint for the Entrance Wall maintenance.
- R1,575.00 for material purchased for maintenance of the Play Park.
- 00 for purchase of screws.
- Correspondence Received.
- Feedback by Tshani Consulting cc regarding comment on Municipal SDF received.
- Feedback received related to response to the management of Water in the Eastern Cape.
- Correspondence Sent.
- Letter to Ndlambe Municipal By-Law Officer.
- Letter to Adv. and Me. Mouton.
- Letter to Kelvin Beckmann.
- Letter to the Nel family.
- Letter to Hannetjie Booysen.
- The following items to be addressed in the January Newsletter.
- Street Numbers.
- Illegal Squatting.
- Transgression of Legislation.
- Management of Water in the East Cape.
- The next monthly will be held on 14 February 2023.
The Chairman closed the meeting at 12h15.